Monday, January 19, 2009

Mine, Mine, All Mine

Yesterday Tim uttered four words that everyone has an opinion on. "Let's move in together." My opinion on the topic? Totally mixed. I have lived with somone before and it was wonderful; but now I live alone and it is kind of my thing. I love having wardrobes full of MY clothes. I love having the washing machine to myself, pink pillows on the couch and a sideboard filled with my workout clothes instead of dishes. I love having bookselves filled with boots and cluthes. I am sure I could keep all of those things if Tim were to move in; but what frightens me is his stuff coming into my space. Seriously I did give him a basket in the bathroom and a section of one of my wardrobes! But that might not totally count because I took the wardrobe space back after a few months.

The problem is not his taste or the style of his stuff, it is just the sheer amount. He has so many books and dvds and cds and clothes and ski gear and bikes and a grand piano! The amount of stuff this man has is probaly normal but I am an extreme minimilist. I do not buy cds (Itunes, thank you very much). I do not buy dvds; who wants to watch a movie more than once and they just take up room. Room that I need to be empty.

The man I lived with before had the same philosophy on stuff. We did not buy anything except clothes and kitchen items that would fit in out cabinets. All books were given away after reading. Photos, music and paperwork were kept digitally only. And so when we broke up, we very easily divided up our megear amount of stuff. Tim's stuff is another story. I fear his stuff would take over and grow and mutliply. It is like a third roomate.

I totally thought I had bought myself another year or two of living alone with the proclamation of my ugly rug addiction. But no, not even that could scare the man off.

1 comment:

Ben and Tara said...

Oh my gosh, big decision, but way cool! Keep us posted on what happens, but whatever you do don't give up the door way shoe rack!